Monday, November 14, 2005

In love with flowers

Flowers are fascinating and they make great specimens for painting, atleast in Adobe.
The problem with painting with a mouse is that you can't get too much of detail - its painstaking and one needs a lot of patience, which I don't have. So reproducing shapes or symmentries (such as a flower vase or a pot) is difficult.

But on the other hand, you have thousands of colours and their variations to choose and use in your painting.

And flowers are just apt, given these pros and cons. You don't have to reproduce them to the complete detail, unless you're givng an extreme closeup of the flower. Anyway, a petal here might be slightly skewed to one direction and another petal there might slightly be smaller than the rest. But unless you screw it up, its very had to produce a bad version.

And flowers come in all colours. So I tend to paintain a lot of flowers. Many of them are my own 'dream flowers'. But I always like to copy them from a photo.

Fragrance in the Evening Air: I hope everyone of us would have seen these white flowers with a fantastic, mild fragrance, that grows in trees. The leafs are usually dark, deep green and are big and oblong. As with most white, fragrance flowers such as parijatham etc this too blooms towards the end of the day. I'm not sure if you can make out the flower from my painting, but you should have definitely seen this flower.

This was reproduced from a calendar photograph. I like the branch and the leaves better than the flowers as such. The whiteness of the flowers is too bright, could have dimmed it down with a ting of grey. The background could have been a bit more brighter. I have used a watery distortion so that the outlines look distored. My improvement: Definitely the leaves and their shadings.

White Secret - The first flower painting which I did using Adobe - another one of my dream flowers. Looking back, I have created a sterotype in flowers - white flowers in dark green backgrounds. This was those days when I was fascinated with the dry brush effect which gives a feel of an 'oil on canvas'. And also lightning effects.


Nothing much here - the paint streaks are nicely visible (I guess it simply accentuates the oil effect), there are some hue variations to the white. I had not attempted to create any 'masterpiece' (?!) here. But I guess its still charming, don't you agree?!

1 Comments:

Blogger Anu said...

the second painting is too good. i have set it as my wallpaper in my comp :)

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home