Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The Sleep
I know I'm in a tiny water drop -
Dangling on a leaf, ready to fall,
On to the ground with a loud plop
Gone in seconds before I can recall.

But let now my birds take to the sky,
My fishes swim in my lily pond - deep.
Let for now, this dream not die
Let be now just........ sleep.

A very early work of mine, attempting abstract or modern art.
With no offense meant to real artists, for me, modern art is a convenient way of
showcasing works which stand a long way away from the actual object. This is my
idea and I always do it. Otherwise I have no knowledge or understaning of modern
art.


Thinking now, I guess I had no specific idea before drawing this. I think I wanted
to paint something like a dreamy scenario. From a pond, I wanted to depict fishes
leaping out and slowly turning to birds and horses.
But frankly, I'm not so adept in drawing forms of animals. So instead I formed an idea of a human sleep and the world we create in our dreams.

Sleep, for whatever time it be, is an escape from the real world, its problems, its
confusions. It offers so much of protection to emotional turmoils. Here, I have
pictured a human form in a womb form in a pool of warm, soothing, water - as safe
as being in the womb or a cocoon, unaware and unconcerned about the outer world.


The pool outside, in a lighter shade of blue, represents the fantasies that we
create in our dreams, with fishes and blissful lotus blooms. And fantasies take
flight, go beyound boundaries, which is represented by white doves/ birds taking
off from the pond.


But this sleep is as safe and as permanent as a water drop in a leaf, ready to fall to the ground and shatter. The ground here is in sharp contrast to the coolness of blue and green,
in glowing yellow.


I have used a spherical blur as we progress outside from the center of the painting.


1 Comments:

Blogger Anu said...

this is almost equivalent to a baby who is expecting to be born any second.. anda protective womb-a vittu tharaiku varaporomenu neachu oru kozhandai aandavanai thunaku koopidara maadiri irukku.. the final blur effect is amazing.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home